January 21, 2008

Of being a temporary Candler...

As indicated by my last post, I stayed with the Candler family while working at SMI...

On Sunday, the 6th, I headed over there with a few of the Candlers (I believe Sierra told me she wished to see the rest of her family by the end of the day ;) and once we arrived, we hung out for awhile since the remaining family hadn't arrived as of yet. The evening was spent playing games (Scotland Yard, Dutch Blitz, anyone?), listening to Pastor Joe Morecraft, taking pictures, enjoying fellowship...oh yes, and eating dinner!


during a thorough examination of Emil's blog



behold...her Lady-ship



so this is what i look like in glasses... *shudders* but not to worry...i will survive!


While my days working remained largely the same with packing packets and folding envelops, the evenings were quite the contrast compared to during the day. On Monday, Anne King came over to spend the evening with us and later on that night we watched Lemony Snicket's A Serious of Unfortunate Events. I've probably never seen a movie quite like that before but Jim Carrey's (Count Olaf from the movie) impression of a velociraptor is downright hilarious. These two posts contain some of the information from the transpired events of Tuesday evening.

Wednesday, after dinner and cleaning up, a few of us headed over to Morton for a walk that turned out more to be like a race. ;) Nearing the end once the van came into sight, I just kept telling myself, "only a hundred yards left, Ashton...only a hundred yards left *pant pant*," after which my legs felt like rubber. Needless to say, it proved my lack of exercise in the area of jogging/walking/running. Overall, though, we had a great time together discussing things such as Mr. Candler's history in the Coast Guard, whether Underdog would be a good movie to watch, and my personal aims in the political arena.



Then...let's see...Thursday we loaned out Bourne Identity from the library to watch at the King's house. We all loaded up into the Candler's Excursion to head over there, and after spilling popcorn everywhere, everyone settled down for an evening of Bourne. Though it didn't end there. Once the movie finished and we traveled back to the house, some of us decided to stay up later with even more talking about some rather interesting subjects (example: "what'd you say about a mortgage?" and everyone bursts out laughing...inside joke about selective hearing *grin*). Sadly, Friday came and I headed back home after work. Not to say that I dislike home, mind you. :P

Yet, as Sunday approached, the time came again to become a Candler, yet with an addition: Grace came with us. Yes, two of the Bandy's stayed at the Candler home with no permanent damage done to their family as far as I can tell. ;) Over the weekend, apparently they also watched Bourne Supremacy, so Josiah called on Saturday to see if I could bring over the third one: The Bourne Ultimatum. Of course, I obliged. ;) So we watched it Sunday evening, marking their completion of the Bourne trilogy.


looking through the Providence church folder of pictures...laughter ensued after a few moments of silence



more picture-viewing



after the movie




When I returned to SMI that Monday, I decided to leave my camera and computer at the house; here are the results...rather good pictures, too:






Once work was complete, Mr. Candler, Josiah, and I headed back to the house. Grace and I then bid all a reluctant farewell, and we turned south, headed for home...

Well, actually we went west, north, west, north, west, then south. But yeah...south is the basic concept. ;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL Ashton! Love the "I will Survive" clip! :) I had seen it before, but I forgot about it. Anyway, thanks for posting! Glad you and Grace had a good time. :D See ya Sunday!

Simply Tiffany said...

lol...sounds like a riot! :) I heard about some of the pictures you have on that computer of yours... ;-) And yes, I have to agree, South is the basic concept...;-)

Ashton said...

Sierra,

Lol...yep, it's a hilarious clip. :D And we were thankful to be able to stay with y'all! Indeed, until Sunday! :)

Tiffany,

T'was a riot, lemme tell ya...in a good sense. ;) So Grace told you about those pictures, eh? She ought to show a few of them to you of herself. ;D And nice play on words there...lol. I wonder if there's something on your blog that needs a little twisting... *grin*