January 12, 2008

Intrigue

Yes, the intriguing part. But I'll provide some background to it first so the reader may have a better understanding as to this surprise birthday party y'all may have caught wind of...

A few weeks ago, Mom and Dad went on this apple cider buying craze, whereupon they bought around maybe 15-20 bottles of that sparkling special stuff one might find at the grocery store, such as Aldi's or maybe Walmart, depending upon the brand. Naturally, I wondered as to the reasoning behind the whole thing, and Dad told me that Mom enjoyed the stuff so they were buying a ton since it only comes out around the Christmas/New Year's season. (I'm still doubtful about the seasonal part of it) It started out that we bought 3-4, then it accumulated more...then some more, and more after that. Naturally, I played the gullible person, because no one can really resist that stuff. ;) But did they stop there with the household items influx? Noo...definitely not. Apparently during the same time period, some wine glasses were purchased with my full knowledge of it being done, albeit me not knowing exactly how many. Grace said they showed me one box just to confirm any suspicions I might have at the time. And, not only that, but when I went to Dad's office with him last week, he intentionally drove to Sam's with me to look at the prices of some tables and chairs. He even asked me to tell Mom the prices!! Goodness, this is almost frustrating looking back on it all...all this information going over my head without me knowing a thing.

Also, after a week or two of arranging, the plan was for me to work at Samaritan Ministries International this past week, including next Monday. We talked with the Candler family and it was decided for me to stay with them while working (that'll be next week's post ;), and since my birthday fell on Tuesday, I was to drive home that evening right after I left SMI to spend the rest of the day with my family. Being the loving son that I am, I also stopped by Starbuck's on the way home and bought Mom and myself iced java chips, me to drink on the way home so as not to fall asleep and Mom to drink when I arrived at the homestead. Oh yes, and that reminds me. Dad, in addition to all the plotting, arranged with my supervisor to basically bar the door to keep me from leaving the building until 4:30 that evening. Yeah, I believe they enjoyed thinking things through beforehand. ;)

As I was driving, I realized that the time was ticking away a little too quickly considering my stop at Starbuck's, so I even brought the speedometer up to "xx" mph!! And in a 55 mph zone later on, to boot! Dad called me a few minutes before I arrived, asking something about me dawdling at Starbuck's and taking up too much time and the food was getting cold, etc., and the entire time he called I kept asking myself why on earth he was telling me all this. But, my unsuspecting self continued in its unsuspecting way. And the phone call didn't help with my speed, either...rather it made me go faster when I was already...er, anyway. The funny part is, I had it all planned out what topics I was to bring up during dinner: the overabundance of rain we received while I was gone, how I repeatedly flashed my brights so everyone would know I was about to turn into our street, and other things I currently forget. But those thoughts slipped my mind later on...

So I turned into our driveway, stopped the car, got out, examined all the stuff I had to bring in, decided to bring all the stuff in later, and walked in with my Mom's java chip, my keys, iPhone, and a W-4 in hand. I opened the door, strolled naturally into the kitchen like always, Dad came towards me saying "hi Ashton!" with a grin on his face, when suddenly from three separate rooms, a total of 38 people overall from the Bandy, Candler, McDonald, and Sanford families jumped out and screamed, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ASHTON!!!"

So you gotta imagine the picture. Here I am, shocked beyond belief, standing there giving a dumb grin with a java chip about to fall over in one hand and a nice ol' W-4 sticking out in the other. Garrison and Tiffany become the paparazzi and snap pictures like crazy, grinning all the while. Mr. McDonald calls out "speech! speech!" and I respond, "hi...um...I'm 19...um...thank you for coming..." and everyone bursts out laughing. They all sing "Happy Birthday," Dad prays over the meal, then everyone scatters to their assigned seating throughout the house. So the evening began. We ate food, played games, and enjoyed the fellowship together. It was quite the evening. ;)

Thank you all for such a wonderful birthday! It's a blessing to know each and every one of you... :)

17 comments:

Colin said...

Har, har. ;-) Well, at the rate I'm going, I figure I'll just take up all the cool domain names for blogger, then move back over to xanga and shut the blogs down so no one else can use them. Kidding.

But, man, I forgot to wish you a happy birthday on your birthday!!!! I'm sorry...

Anyway, glad it was a blast and that y'all had fun. Here's to a wonderful new year for ye! :-)

Colin

P.S. The lightbrigade88 one is going to be my chief blog. When I post on the others, I will post a note on that one, too. :-)

Anonymous said...

God Bless you our son - the culprits...

Love,
Papa & Mom

Ashton, you didn't mention after you were shocked, you pulled out your wallet and handed it to me (I wasn't sure if I was to check how much cash you had ??? :)

. . . and you wonder why we don't tell you about everything we plan???

Anonymous said...

Hey, so are you going to do a post about staying here? :) I can't wait to see it! Just don't post any "embarrassing pictures" (if you know what i mean.)

Ashton said...

Hey, no prob, Colin, about the lack-of-birthday-ness concerning your usual giving-people-a-birthday-wishing. ;) lol Just giving you a hard time, bud.

Mom and Dad...oh yeah! the part about the wallet--I forgot about that. And yes, I guess I just have to listen harder to conversations to really hear what y'all are planning! :D Love you, too...

Sierra...yes ma'am! You'll see a post sometime tomorrow. Sorry about taking so long to do it...and I promise not to post the, ah, more interesting of the pictures y'all took. :)

Anonymous said...

Lol...thanks. :) Your family really should not leave so early on Sundays, You STILL need to try and beat me! :) See ya Sunday, and again, can't wait to see the new post. :)

Ashton said...

I know it...on the way home from church I remembered and scolded myself for not doing it...again. Maybe this week a table will be open! :) Either that or getting out another table would work. And I'm sure if we were invited to someone's house it'd give us the chance to stay later. ;)

Anonymous said...

Our's you mean? :) Well, I've been begging my parents to invite your family sometime. But unfortunately we don't,(yet,)have a ping-pong table, So therefore we couldn't play. Though it is one of the things I hope to get...sometime. :D

Ashton said...

Ah, I was referring to getting out an extra table or something at the Christian Center if one's available during Sunday afternoon. :) And yes, I'm talking about y'all's house. ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh, I see. :) But still, I was meaning, that if you were to come over, we couldn't play ping pong. Of course, if ya'll were to come over, we could ALWAYS play some "Scotland Yards", and talk about Emil Mortgaging....lol. :D

Ashton said...

Oh! Ok...sorry for the confusion. :) Yeah, I bet Emil's been wanting one of those mortgages lately...I'm sure we could get one started for him, lol. :D

Stacy McDonald said...

Ashton,

You forgot to mention how cute you were! (Only moms can say this!) Here are some photos from the event, in case anyone wanted to see Ashton's surprised face!

http://itsthesimplethings.blogspot.com/2008/01/so-few-weeks-ago-we-were-invited-to.html

Your mother (and father) did a wonderful job of making it a very special, God-glorifying time for all.

Sierra said...

LOL, thats fine. :) Have you even told Emil about that? I STILL crack up any time someone brings that up around here. :)

Emil Bandy said...

He said he couldn't completely remember it....

But he told me some of it :)

Ashton said...

Mrs. McDonald,

Oh...personal appearance wasn't exactly on my mind at the time...lol. But thank you for the compliment! I think... is that definition of cute in the manly sense? :D Indeed, Mom and Dad did a great job.

Sierra,

Contrary to Emil's allusion, I told him most of it. :D I think the only thing I couldn't remember is what exactly Lenna said before the mortgage part. :)

Emil,

Some of it?! I told you most of it, silly. :P

Sierra said...

I can't remember the whole thing either, only that one part. :D You all really need to start coming to the mini hymn sings. It would be so much fun with ya'll there too. :) See ya'll Sunday!

Ashton said...

Too true, too true...we've wanted to attend them for quite some time now. :) It just seems like it never works out, whether it be because of school or Dad needing to take vacation time. :(

Ack! and we didn't do singles again on Sunday. I do wonder if we'll ever get around to doing that...lol.

Sierra said...

I know!! :) I even brought the paddles for us to use, but the little kids took them and started to use them. You know how that goes...:)

So anyway, Grace told me that ONE of the reasons why ya'll don't come is because of the gas prices. Which is understandable. :)