December 22, 2006

An Evening Tale

Last night the plan was to watch The Nativity Story at the local theater...somewhere over the rainbow....

We walked into the theater, expecting "The Nativity Story" to be right up there on the list of movie thingy, when we saw it wasn't... Ahh, better back up a bit.

*ahem* *insert suspenseful music*

This past week my sister Grace and one of my many cousins discussed at church the proposition of the aforementioned movie. Not any proposition in particular, just discussing it, mind you. Something along those lines. Katie (being my cousin) said the only day she could watch the movie would be Thursday, which was last night. So Dad and Mum tried to find the best theater to attend to watch this movie, coming to the conclusion that [some movie theater] would be the best bet. They even looked in Satruday's newspaper for confirmation of it being on this particular night, which was last night. More discussion ensued, and my parents decided to make a whole family get-together of it: while us three older kids, along with two other family members (my cousin and aunt), would be watching The Nativity Story, the rest of the Bandy family would watch...

Charlotte's Web.

So bringing the narrative up to speed, we shall analyze last night.

*music comes to a crescendo*

Supper was eaten earlier than usual, seeing as the traffic would be horrible with Christmas less than 5 days away, and also because Dad was off earlier than usual as well. We all then left for the capital, and since the two movies were separated by a 30 minutes time span, we decided to spend time at Panera across the way for the wait. So time was spent there.....we then walked over to Shop-Ko to spend lotsa money, around the area of 5 dollars....went back to the theater, expecting "The Nativity Story" to be right up there on the movie listing thing. But it wasn't. I went up to the counter, asked the guy if they were showing the movie, he responded that they weren't, but offered that another theater across town was showing the same movie two hours later. All of us just stood there staring at each other, not knowing what to do. An awkward few minutes passed.

*music pauses*

A hot debate began within those few minutes: should we travel all the way across town? (no...the movie was in two hours and Charlotte's Web would be finished by then) should we just sit out in the hallway, waiting for the rest of the family? (an emphatic no :-P ) or...should we watch another movie instead? (bingo!)

The final choice? Eragon.

*music resumes*

Overall...rather good movie, to say the least. I'd give it...maybe 4/5 stars. Kinda like a mix between Lord of the Rings and Chronicles of Narnia, in my opinion... Around an hour and fifty minutes, so not too lengthy... Although the prominent showing of magic disturbed me a little...

But I would not have rated it PG. More along the lines of PG-13.

MPAA...ugh.

*music ends*

8 comments:

Jessica McDonald said...

Ooo! I'm jealous! :) I want to see Eragon...grrr. :D
But too bad y'all didn't get to see The Nativity Story! It was so good. Are y'all still planning on seeing it??

jessica

Holly said...

Mmm...I want to see the Nativity Story, too....hopefully soon! :D

Ashton said...

Jessica,

Aye, we're planning to see it, but not in the theaters....definitely getting the DVD when it comes out. :-D

Holly,

Mmhmm, it looks like an awesome movie. :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh, that was very good Ashton. I read into the suspense and everything. You actually had me worried for a little bit there. I was biting my nails by the time I got to the part when you went up to the counter and found out that they weren't showing it. =)


Did they cancel showing the Nativity on purpose?

David Price said...

Actually I would consider it more a mix of LOTR and Star Wars (the original trilogy).

The whole part of the Dragon picking its rider and then the dragon rider having magical powers seemed just a littl too much like The force.

my two cents worth.

Anonymous said...

Lol, Ashton.

Loved the music. :-P

Anonymous said...

What an eventful day you had!

Eragon was good, but a tad disappointing. They left out 3/4 of the book, making for somewhat choppy scenes! *shocked, despaired, tramitized* Aside from that, I love it for what it is and want to see it again. It *is* a cross between several fantasy novels, even more evident in the movie since they left out so much. (Did I mention they left our rather a lot?) :-D But the book has some wonderful originality.

I should post my own review of it soon. . .

Take care, Gaffer

Ashton said...

Kikki,

Hmmm, as far as I know, the theater didn't cancel sooner than planned - I think the main problem is that we didn't look at the dates for when the Nativity stopped showing. :-)

David,

Ah, yes, I see what you mean - the main reason I chose CoN was the whole correlation of magic betwist the two... :-D

Rach,

Ain't it great? ;-)

Lizzie,

They left out 3/4 of the book?! My goodness, that's worse than LotR. :-P Take care as well, I heard CO's receiving snow this week. Y'all be careful.